Learn what SEO experts have discovered about Google’s Possum and Penguin updates, why Twitter killed Vine, and more.
It was an eventful October in the world of digital marketing. Let’s take a look at the latest headlines from SEO, content marketing, social media, and more.
- Google hasn’t officially admitted to September’s local SEO Possum update, but SEO experts have noticed five major effects. John Lincoln (@johnelincoln) reports.
- How do review sites and the surprisingly not dead Google+ affect local SEO? David Mihm (@davidmihm) and Mike Blumenthal (@mblumenthal) break it down. Also, if you need to figure out how to get something out of Google+, beyond its SEO value, Jennifer Beese (@jenniferbeese) shared some ideas on this topic earlier in 2016.
- Once upon a time, Penguin made marketers sad, but when it comes to Penguin 4.0, there’s a reason to be glad. Andrew Dennis (@AndrewDennis33) shares why Penguin 4.0 is a big improvement, one month after its rollout.
- Another way to boost your search rankings and traffic? YouTube SEO. Brian Honigman (@brianhonigman) for Digital Current (@digitalcurrent) explains.
- If your company is thinking ahead on virtual reality, so is Google. Google has already created tools to help you optimize VR content for search engines. Brian Ussery (@beussery) explains.
- It can be tough to show clients the long-term value of SEO. Casie Gillette (@casieg) gives you what you need to make your case.
- When it comes to winning football games, having a star quarterback gives your team a big advantage. Andrea Fryrear (@andreafryrear) explains how to make content creation your team’s star quarterback.
- Your audience may not be connecting with your content because you assume they know more than they do. Follow these tips from Eddie Schleyner (@VeryGoodCopy) to make your content more accessible to your audience.
- Looking for more creative ways to present your content? These 10 content presentation tools, compiled by Tyler Talefsky, can give you a boost.
- YouTube now offers 20-second mobile-friendly End Screens, which you can attach to the ends of every video, that you can use to encourage people to subscribe. Paul Sawers (@psawers) has the scoop.
- Having problems with conversion? Maybe it’s not your page design; maybe it’s your content. Kayleigh Moore (@kayleighf) says these seven types of content can boost your conversion rates.
- There are seven big things people get wrong about conversion rate optimization. Aaron Orendorff (@iconiContent) explains.
- RIP Vine, the social network that pioneered the six-second video. Casey Newton (@caseynewton) explains why Twitter killed Vine and the future of the format.
- You can hail an Uber from Facebook Messenger, and soon, you’ll be able to pay with PayPal within Messenger. Sarah Perez (@sarahintampa) reports on this new way businesses can plan to use Messenger.
- Are you running out of content to share on your social networks? Have no fear: Justin Kerby (@cavejustin) is here! Check out his list of 10 tools for finding great content to share.
- No one wants to be a type, but let’s face it: most of us are. Adweek’s Marty Swant (@martyswant) has identified six social media personas assumed by many of today’s brands; see if you can find your own business on the list.
To get more digital marketing insights from our experts, sign up for Digital Current’s monthly newsletter. And as always, check back periodically for our roundup of the latest news in digital marketing.