This week, we cover local search tips for the competitive holiday season, last-minute holiday marketing tips, content marketing predictions, and more.
‘Tis the season for big retail spending and awkward holiday gatherings. Marketers are buzzing about organic search prep for the holiday season. They’re also getting out their Magic 8 Balls and starting to make predictions about 2017.
Let’s dive in to see what’s happening in the world of digital marketing.
- Local search gets pretty competitive during the holiday season, just at the time when your business needs to make money. Lydia Jorden (@greystonetech) has some seasonal tips for competing in local search.
- Black Friday can lead to valuable organic search opportunities. Tereza Litsa (@terezalitsa) helps you find ways to snag more website traffic for Black Friday and beyond.
- Google isn’t saying much about its Possum local search update, but an estimated 64 percent of local SERPs were affected by it. Get the scoop from Joy Hawkins (@joyannehawkins).
- Technical SEO: You’re making great content for your human audience, but are you doing enough for your Googlebots? Aleh Barysevich (@ab80) has tips for making your pages easy for search engines to crawl.
- Julie Joyce (@JulieJoyce) says that a lot of people who write about link building make guarantees they can’t keep. Get a reality check and learn some of the hard truths about link building.
- It’s the perfect article for the lazy content marketer — or maybe just the content marketer with too much to do. Lisa LaCour (@llacour) explains how to do content marketing without writing any content on your own.
- A blog isn’t essential to take advantage of content marketing. Brian Honigman (@brianhonigman) for Digital Current (@digitalcurrent) explains how to drive traffic and convert visitors with non-blog content.
- Just as Aleh Barysevich talked about optimizing for Googlebots above, Nyima Bieber (@TrafficSource) shares some insight about optimizing content for your human audience.
- Prediction time! Teresa Litza, in addition to the above article about Black Friday SEO, has gone on the record with eight 2017 content marketing predictions.
- Baseball teams have nine batters, and basketball teams have five starters. Josh Ritchie (@ritchie_joshua) says that if you want to win at content marketing, your content team needs seven kinds of players.
Social Media Marketing
- Your social media campaign is weak! At least, Jason Jorner (@EffectiveMark1) says it is, if it displays these five bad social media campaign omens.
- Here are five more things: check out this list of five ways to use Instagram stories for your business, courtesy of Matt Secrist (@matt_secrist).
- Aaron Agius (@IAmAaronAgius) says you should use these 10 social media metrics to judge the success of your social media strategy.
- Love statistics? Here are more than 30 social media marketing statistics to help you shape your 2017 social media strategy, listed and broken down by Derek Edmond (@DerekEdmond).
- Find out how Facebook Live and Snapchat can help you expand your social media horizons. Kendall Bird (@simplymeK) takes on Facebook Live, and Christina Baldassarre (@ChristinaBaldas) tackles Snapchat.
…And a Little Something Extra
- Are you looking for the perfect digital marketing podcast? Look no further! Ray Edwards (@RayEdwards) offers 20 terrific podcast options for today’s digital marketers.
- Twelve experts weigh in on last-minute holiday marketing tips companies can take advantage of to give sales a little extra boost.
That’s all for now! Check back in a couple of weeks for more developments in the world of digital marketing, and sign up for our monthly newsletter to keep in the loop about what’s going on in the industry.