This week’s digital marketing news includes what the latest marketers have learned about Fred, how to use Facebook Stories to your advantage, and more.
See how Google’s Fred update is shaking out and affecting sites weeks after being unleashed, how to use Facebook Stories in your marketing, and how the future of digital marketing may include — that’s right — self-driving cars. Let’s get started.
- Google’s Fred update has hit sites that are thin on content and heavy on ads, particularly banner ads. Barry Schwartz (@rustybrick) recaps the reverberations from Fred, even though Google won’t say specifically what it targeted.
- Is Google’s SEO advice always on the money? Nate Dame (@seonate) says Google always looks out for its own interests — and those interests aren’t always the same as yours.
- Your store locator page can be a great source for referrals. Adam Dorfman (@phixed) gives you 10 ways to get more customer traffic from your business location search page.
- Tech entrepreneurs always talk about creating a minimum viable product, which is a product good enough to sell but far from perfect. So what’s minimum viable SEO for your business, and how can you deliver it? Rand Fishkin (@randfish) explains.
- The biggest challenge content marketers face, according to Zazzle’s 2017 State of Content Marketing Survey, is to consistently create engaging content. Simon Penson (@simonpenson) dives into the challenges and offers tips on creating good content constantly.
- The underrated email newsletter lets you hit hundreds of thousands of customers right in the inbox. Mark Walker (@jfdimark) explains how to revive your good old-fashioned newsletter for maximum marketing impact.
- Brian Honigman (@BrianHonigman) for Digital Current (@digitalcurrent) explains how to integrate content marketing with your normal sales efforts to improve conversions.
- Video counts for one-third of today’s online activity. Erin Berman (@blckbrdstudios) explains how to build community with recorded video and live streaming.
Conversion Rate Optimization
- To go along with the new State of Content Marketing report, Unbounce has a new report on conversion benchmarks in multiple industries. Amanda Durepos (@amandadurepos) delivers a preview.
- Is your website’s conversion rate lousy? You’re not alone. Danny Wong (@dannywong1190) shares tips on using page-specific conversion funnels to improve your site’s overall conversion rates.
- Just because visitors stop browsing your e-commerce site doesn’t mean you’ve lost the chance to convert them. Jacob McMillen (@jmcmillen89) helps e-commerce sites get more conversions by creating perfect automated email response campaigns.
Social Media Marketing
- Facebook Stories debuted at the end of March. Casey Newton (@CaseyNewton) explains how Facebook Stories works, and Julia Bramble (@JuliaBramble) has a guide to using Facebook Stories for marketing.
- Facebook Stories is billed as a shot across Snapchat’s bow. Which rival social network will Facebook try to kill next? Jay Baer (@jaybaer) has a theory.
- Samsung is embedding Pinterest visual search technology into its new Galaxy S8 phone and its search assistant, Bixby. It’s a big score for Pinterest and a new chapter in visual search. George Slefo (@GeorgeSlefo) has more.
- Many brands try to sell on social media, and they forget to think of social media as a customer retention tool. Tamar Weinberg (@tamar) has five ways to boost retention with social.
A Peek Into the Future
- If you run a local business, partnerships with Uber and Lyft can boost your sales – and they won’t be your only marketing options as self-driving vehicle providers take over. Follow Brian Smith (@being_smith) as he shows you how to prepare for the future today by taking digital marketing on the road.
Looking for a digital marketing strategy that really works? It’s time to bring in the experts. Get a digital marketing proposal with fast, actionable results from Digital Current.