Discover how to use Featured Snippets to land atop Google SERPs, how to sell on Instagram, and more in this week’s digital marketing news roundup.
How to skip to the top of the search rankings, how to make great video content, and how to avoid letting the machines ruin your digital marketing — we’ve got all this and more great content, fresh from the world of digital marketing.
- It’s tough to make it to #1 in the SERPs, but Featured Snippets can help you skip to the front of the line. Ronell Smith (@RonellSmith) discusses how to earn — and keep — Featured Snippets for your pages.
- It’s nice when well-meaning clients and other websites give you backlinks, but it’s not so nice when those backlinks are dragging you down. Rand Fishkin (@RandFish), in the last week’s Moz Whiteboard Friday, explains how to get the most from gray area backlinks without getting penalized.
- Do you miss Google’s PageRank? Don’t worry: Santa has something for you! JR Oakes (@jroakes) has the scoop on the Common Search host-level PageRank tool, an open-source solution that provides insights into why your pages rank the way they do.
- Larry Kim (@larrykim) has been conducting some SEO experiments to learn how engagement metrics, including click-through rate (CTR) and social shares, affect search ranking.
- Thinking of using review sites like Yelp to boost your local search rankings? Check out these two articles: three next-level Yelp tricks from Brian Patterson (@brianspatterson) and an overview of BrightLocal’s 2016 Local Consumer Review Survey, which discusses the value of asking customers to leave a review for a business.
This week, we shine a spotlight on creating video content, via two infographics:
- This Twitter infographic, shared by Andrew Hutchinson (@adhutchinson), shares multiple insights on how to create successful video content and what motivates people to share videos.
- Adweek created an infographic on understanding what customers really want from your video content, decoded by Carrie Cummings (@carriecummings).
- Neil Patel (@neilpatel) shares six neuromarketing hacks that can help you create more impactful content.
- Learn from some of the worst marketing campaigns before implementing your own campaign. Brian Honigman (@brianhonigman) for Digital Current (@digitalcurrent) explains where four companies failed and what they should have done.
- Sales can sometimes view the content marketing group as a de facto production studio for their content requests. Brendan Hartt (@brendan_hartt) talks about how one-off requests from sales can distract you from your content marketing strategy and how to be firm about your role and your mission.
- Instagram’s new live videos are sort of like Facebook Live, but with a few key differences. Carly Stec (@carlystec) breaks it down.
- Speaking of Instagram, Jasmine Star (@JasmineStar), a professional photographer, talked to the Social Media Today podcast to share her secrets for how to sell on Instagram.
- The latest Facebook Page redesign is rolling out on a larger scale. Kristi Hines (@kikolani) discusses how your business can make the most of it.
- When most of the social media traffic about your brand is negative, how do you push a positive social media strategy? Nikki Gilliland (@nikki_gilliland) profiles Trainline, a U.K. company that sells tickets for the U.K.’s unpopular train services, and discusses how personalization helps them break through the negativity.
…And a Little Something Extra
- Does relying on big data and predictive analytics to develop a proactive marketing strategy cause you to mess up the basics of marketing? Kimberly Whitler (@KimWhitler) interviews Shreesha Ramdas (@shreesha) to discuss how predictive analytics can cause businesses to prioritize acquisition over retention — and how this priority reversal can spell big problems for digital marketing strategy.
To get more digital marketing insights from our experts, sign up for Digital Current’s monthly newsletter. And as always, check back every other week for our roundup of the latest digital marketing news.